About Me

My photo
Am I a superhero? Or just a lunatic that wears a cape...and rants?

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Day 25 and 26: The Good Book vs. The Book of The Dead

Day 25 of the 31 Days of Halloween countdown

Donnie Darko (2001)

Donnie Darko is not scary by any means, but as far as strange and confusing go, it is a the top of my list. The movie is unique and terrific and will have you asking yourself 'what the fuck is going on' pretty often.

Centered around Donnie (Jake JillAndHall...whatever), a kid who stumbles onto time travel. Either that or he's nuts...I mean he does frequently talk to a 6 foot tall demonic looking bunny rabbit...then again I had some interesting imaginary friends in my days...then again, again, I wasn't a teenager when I saw them. I digress. This movie is a great halloween flick as it takes place around the holiday. Also, there is a great performance by Patrick Swayze as a creepy and demented 'child of God' who preeches various distortions of biblical text to the towns people forming sort of a cult community in which some of the most criminal of peole linger. This movie explores what can happen when you are aloud not only to glimpse into the future, but perhaps change it too.


The Evil Dead (1981)

Evil Dead is not a scary flick either. What it is, is the king of all 'B' horror movies and the real start to the career of the greatest 'B' movie actor of all time, Bruce Campbell. The man is a comedy/horror genius and (as I met him last year) one cool, yet cocky, S.O.B.

Evil Dead is about a group of college kids who go to a cabin in the woods for vacation and uncover the Necronomicon (the book of the dead). These not too horror savvy teens accidentally unleash demons into the woods and end up getting picked off one by one as they try to take shelter in the cabin.

Sam Raimi (Spiderman) Directed this gem. The effects are cheesey and the one-liners are ever more so...if by cheesey I mean AWESOME!!

This movie is so good that a group of people made a musical out of it, (which I saw, sat in the front few rows for, and got splattered with fake blood = good times). Do yourself a huge favor and watch the whole trilogy. If you are a fan of blood, comedy, and quotable lines you won't be disappointed.

2 comments:

  1. I heart Bruce Campbell. The Evil Dead movies are terrible/awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Soda- Yes. Bruce Campbell is the man. And Yes, They are terribly awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Please sign in to make a comment.