About Me

My photo
Am I a superhero? Or just a lunatic that wears a cape...and rants?

Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Obama's Fried Chicken

So, I recently heard on the news a breaking story about a fried chicken joint in the city that changed their name to Obama's in a ploy to sell more chicken. Of course people are organizing protests now, and the White House issued a statement of disapproval over the name. What for?
Well aparently its racist to pay homage to the President by naming your restaurant after him if his father is an African from Kenya and his mother is a white lady of English descent from Kansas...but its only racist to the black half...and only if your restaurant specializes in chicken. Obama's Kansas City Steakhouse? No problem. Give me a break! Yes, yes...there is racism out there. Perpetuated by ignorant people of all ethnicities. And there are times when people need to rally together and speak out against it. This is clearly NOT one of those times. There are plenty of white people out there who, either blatantly or covertly, display racist tendencies and they should be addressed accordingly. BUT just as plentiful are instances where, as Archie Bunker so eloquently put it, "Blacks call the kettle, pot." (take it easy...its just a joke) Some people out there want to find racism in everything, just so they have a crutch to cling to rather than start walking again. Look, I can't stand racists! I think its pointless and ignorant to harbor negative feelings for someone due to their skin considering we all came from the same few descendents from somewhere near what is now Africa. MLK said it best when he said "I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character." And this should hold proper weight for everyone. The owner of this chicken joint doesn't seem like an enemy of equality.
This is obviously just a scheme to make money; and one perpetrated by an obvious Obama supporter. Not racist, just a barely clever way for a small business to get some free publicity on the News and radio. Strangely, this ploy didn't work on me...I don't crave fried chicken any more than I did yesterday. But, I sure could go for some grape soda... (Boooooo!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please sign in to make a comment.